Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Lily Lessons


My husband bought me some lilies some time ago. As I watched their life cycle, it struck me that lilies have much to teach us about life:

Plants need time and tending before they bloom. The lilies came to us tightly clenched and green as could be. With water, plant food, time and tending, they began to bloom. People and relationships are the same way. Given time, they usually open.

Blooming and brushing can happen at the same time. On stems with multiple buds, some buds opened early and some opened late. The early bloomers began to droop as the late bloomers began to open. Neither the droopers or the bloomers stole glory from the other. They just coexisted. 

Death and life can hover in the same breath. My husband knows I hold onto flowers for as long as I can. I will pick up petals that fall off as the plant dies until there are no more petals still standing. In the case of the lilies, some stems were totally dead while others had a bit of life left. I held on until the end. Sometimes holding on is the right choice when something is dying. Sometimes holding on to someone until the last breath is life.

--

"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"

(Matthew 6:28-30, New King James Version)

Life and its lessons are never easy. Lilies don't hold all the answers, but their Creator does.


No comments:

Post a Comment