Thursday, January 21, 2021

I Got the Shot.


I got the shot. Yes, the COVID-19 vaccine. I know the vaccine is controversial, and I am not here to convince anyone to make a decision one way or the other. Since I've lived a whole week past getting the vaccine and seem to have no serious side effects, however, I thought I'd share my why for the vaccine, as well as my experience thus far. 

My husband and I talked and prayed a lot about the vaccine. In the beginning, I felt hesitant. I am not usually one to embrace new medicine head-on. I would rather give it time to evolve and prove either efficient or inefficient. The nature of the COVID-19 pandemic did not really allow for time, however. So we did our research and decided that if I could get an ethically sourced vaccine (read, not made with abortion-derived cell lines), I would. But why? Why would I take this risk? Here are a few reasons

1) My Job: I work in behavioral health, and for almost a year now, I have had to see all my families via telehealth. It works, but it is not ideal. The nature of my work is that it is best done in person, in person where I can sit with hurting people and share their burdens. In person where I can weep with those who weep and mourn with those who mourn. In person where I can embody the Savior who gives hope. To be in person, I need to be well. And I need to stay well, hence the vaccine.

2) My Household: The income I earn at work helps provide for the needs of my household. Could we live without it? Yes, but it would be difficult. I feel that taking steps to protect my health so that I can keep on working is a way I can take my responsibilities to my family seriously.

3) My Own Health: I have been blessed with fairly good health overall, but when I get sick, I get really sick. COVID cases seem to be not too serious, or really serious, even deadly. I would rather not find out which camp I fall into if I can help it. The vaccine might help.

4) The Front Line: The doctors and nurses of our hospitals are exhausted! If I can do something that will perhaps prevent me from having to seek their care and further the enormous burden on our healthcare system, I'd like to do it. Enter the vaccine

5) Control: The pandemic is completely out of my control and in the hands of the Sovereign God. What are in my control, however, are my actions. Since God is a God of wisdom and I believe he gives wisdom to doctors and scientists who make vaccines and medicine, I believe that getting a vaccine is within the realm of actions I can take. Additionally, choosing the get the shot now meant I had some control over what product I got (e.g. an ethically sourced one), and when I got it, decisions that may not be available to me in the future. I got the shot as an act of faith and as an act of personal responsibility.

--

So what was my experience like? First of all, let me state that I am fortunate that I was in vaccination group 1B for my state. This meant that I could get the vaccine after the health car professionals on the immediate front line. For this opportunity, I am extremely grateful. Second, let me say that although it was a bit of a hassle and a long drive, I am very pleased with my experience. I got vaccinated at a large drive through site and the staff there were so kind and pleasant. Through a few checkpoints, through a tent where a nice nurse gave me the shot while I sat in my car, a 15 minute wait for side effects in said car, and then driving away. Getting the vaccine couldn't be much more efficient!

What shot did I get? I got the Pfizer shot since I live in a city. It seems that this is the most common vaccine to be given in metro areas since it has to stay frozen. The shot itself hurt less than the flu shot, or really any other shot I have received. (This might be due to the skill of the nurse, but might also be due to the freezing temperature of the vaccine, as pointed out by my wise little brother.) I felt fine for a few hours after getting the shot. Then my arm started to hurt, like really hurt. The pain radiated down to my wrist at one point. My whole body ached by the end of the day (perhaps due to the shot and perhaps due to the activities of the day; maybe both) and I took an ibuprofen. The next day, my arm felt considerably better, tender, but better. After that, it didn't really bother me at all. Through the week, I had no fevers, engaged in regular exercise, and did my work. I feel very thankful to God for no serious side effects. Whether or not the vaccine will do its work and protect me from COVID remains to be seen, but it's worth a shot!

Note: As stated in the beginning of this post, I know the vaccine is controversial. Please feel free to engage with me privately in healthy discourse, but please do not fill my inbox with condemnation of my decision or reasons why I should not have taken the shot. My husband I decided I would get it and I did. End of story. I encourage readers to do their own research and make their own values-based decisions rather than using their valuable time to criticize me for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment