Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Returning From Vacation


Prior to May, it had been a hot minute since we traveled. Since we took a vacation. Or at least since we took an extended time away from home. But we did it once, and we're thinking about it again, so I'm also thinking about after vacation, that post trip, back to real life slap-in-the-face, and for all the real life duties that await. I have made the mistake in the past of not planning, and it has put a real damper on my appreciation of time spent away. No more! I am now trying to plan a little more thoroughly to get full benefits from whatever periods of R&R we get. Here are a few of my practices:

1) Leave margin. I used to plan every minute of vacation, getting home at the last minute and jumping right back into the fray. That doesn't work well, especially now that I am married and have a house. If I can, I try to take a day off after vacation, or at least have an afternoon available before a morning return to work. That gives me time to unpack, do laundry, organize, etc. I can also slowly ease myself into the vacation let-down/life ramp-up instead of going full-throttle into the work week.

2) Meal plan. As much as possible, I try to stock the freezer with meals that will last us a few days, or up to a full week when we get back. I either freeze extra portions of a meal I make prior to leaving, or I prep a few freezer meals that can thaw in the fridge and/or go in the Instant Pot. Pinterest and the internet are rich with ideas for this type of thing.

3) Sleep. Vacation is restful and sometimes exhausting at the same time. Getting back into a regular sleep schedule is key. Although it is often hard for me to go to bed and wake up early, it behooves me to do this, rather than stretching my vacation sleep habits into the week, leaving me tired and sad about going back to work.

4) Connect with friends. Vacation can make real life seem boring, but real life has a richness of its own. Making time to connect with friends via phone, text, or in-person can remind me of the wealth of community I have at home. It can also help moderate my post vacation blues.

5) Plan something new. No, I don't often plan another vacation, but I try to give myself something to which to look forward: an activity, a special dinner, a project, etc. This helps me get back into the swing of life with some forward motion and motivation.

6) Reflect. Reflecting on vacation can increase sadness, but it can also increase joy. I like to reflect on vacation by looking at pictures, remembering the good times, and further etching memories into my mind. While I may miss vacation, I can choose to not miss the memories through this action.

--

Vacations are special. So is life, if we really celebrate it. So celebrate vacation. Celebrate life. Plan to integrate both through planning not only vacation, but the return to life thereafter.

1 comment:

  1. These are such great tips! I always give myself a day between vacation and "real life" if at all possible. And try to plan meals for when I return before leaving so it isn't on my mind at the end of the trip! Love the idea of a new thing to look forward to so that the trip being over isn't as sad.

    ReplyDelete