Monday, September 12, 2022

It Shouldn't Be This Way.



She was a teacher. She was a wife. She was a mother. She was a runner. She was kidnapped Saturday, September 3rd and found dead Monday, September 5th. Her name was Eliza Fletcher. Though the circumstances of her death are still somewhat unknown, and though she as a unique human being is irreplaceable, she could be any one of us. She was just another runner out for her morning exercise. It shouldn't be this way.

People should be able to go out of their homes and exercise safely. They should be able to enjoy the great outdoors without fear for their lives. If they want to run, they should be able to run freely. The sad truth is that they aren't. I can't tell you how many people I have read about who have questioned their morning runs this past week. Some didn't even go on them. Though I did run, I found myself scanning my environment for signs of danger and looking for safety figures even more so than normal. It shouldn't be this way.

I take steps to try to keep myself safe. I don't have Strava. I don't share my routes. I run in well-lit, familiar places. I run with my phone. I am ready to call the police at any time I might need to do so. I actively look for police patrols while I am out running. I say hello to people I know from my community so that both they and I know I am out. My husband has ways to actively track my location any time he feels the need to do so. Still, nothing is guaranteed if I run outside, and that is what I prefer. It shouldn't be this way.

We were made to live in a perfect outdoor environment free to move about as we pleased. We were made to run for pleasure. We were made to not know good and evil. But we do. We know great, great evil, evil that shows up in situations like the tragic death of Eliza Fletcher.

I ran this weekend in honor of Eliza Fletcher. Finishing Eliza's run (#FinishEliza'sRun) and coming home safely was a gift. It was a privilege. It was not guaranteed, though. In this world, no good things running or otherwise, are guaranteed. Sin has ruined us. Evil has stained the universe. It shouldn't be this way, but praise God, because of Jesus' sinless sacrifice, we have the promise that one day it won't be. One day, all the things that shouldn't be will pass away, and all that will remain will be Glory. Hallelujah for that hope!

*Written in honor of Eliza Fletcher, with great sorrow, condolences, and prayers for her family, friends, and all who loved her.

No comments:

Post a Comment