Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Pre-Run Fuel, Polarized Training, Post-Run Workouts, Pacing, and More (Patriot Run 2022)

After years of running, maybe I'm finding my identity as I runner? And I'm definitely trying to start implementing research-based training techniques. I think it's paying off. Read more below.


I ran the Patriot Run 10K again last Saturday, September 10, 2022. I ran the Patriot Run 5K
in 2016, 2017, and 2019 before switching over to the 10K last year. (No race was held in 2020 due to COVID.) I think I really prefer the 10K. Yes, it's two laps. Yes, it requires more training, but I like it. I'm really not a speed girl. I'm a "in it for the long haul girl." At least in this race, people start out fast, and then slow down. Since I do the opposite, this gives me a chance to move up in the rankings as I go, rather than do a mad sprint from the start. It's my style.

I trained for this race with a little flair of my own this year, too. I honestly didn't know if it would work, but I couldn't find a training plan I liked, so I took Hal Higdon's novice plan and personalized it. Monday, Wednesday, I did speed work (fartlek, interval, and tempo runs--some from the training plan I did for the Mesa 10K), but added on some strength training afterwards. Tuesday, Thursday, I ran a mile or so and then did a longer strength workout. Saturday, I also tacked on strength. Friday/Sunday, I walked three miles, stretched, foam rolled, and called it good.

Pre-Run Fuel 

I'm really not a pre-run fuel girl, but after hearing one two many podcasts about the importance of pre-run fueling for women, I decided to do it for my long runs. It meant getting out the door a little later, but it worked. I started with half a banana, tried applesauce once or twice, and ended up with a whole banana and 8 oz water being good before most runs (and this particular 10K race). I found that I could make it through the runs easier, still strength train afterward (with more water intake) and not be a grumbly mess by breakfast. I found that I felt better the rest of the day when I did this, too. Running dietitians have preached these benefits of pre-run fuel for a while. I guess I just had to prove the benefits to myself.

Polarized Training

I also attempted to take up a more polarized training pattern this year. After listening to Ben Rosario on C Tolle Run (2022), I picked up Matt Fitzgerald's (2014) 80/20 Running book. I am sure that I didn't quite make 80% of my runs easy, but I slowed way down and did try to eliminate moderate training as Fitzgerald suggested. I felt pretty uncertain going into a race without much speed training under my belt, but I was very pleased with the results.

Post-Run Workouts

I used Lindsey Bomgren's Nourish Move Love workouts post-run. She has a good variety of bands, barre, weights, and cardio; plus, she sends out weekly workout plans if you get on her -email list. Those helped! I tried to lift heavy towards the beginning, but towards the end, I did more resistance band workouts. I also eliminated my Thursday runs and training when I felt extra tired and/or my HRV was low. (My brother gifted me a FitBit Versa that tracks HRV.) I did my last post-run workout the Monday of race week and just did barre with fairly light weights Tuesday/Wednesday. 

The RUN!

I did not sleep well Friday night, and I woke up with somewhat of an upset stomach. I still managed to down my banana and half a water bottle, though. We had light rain and temperatures of around 64 degrees for race morning. It rained a little bit during the race, but too much.

Running at altitude, I had no plans to try to best my Mesa 10K PR. Rather, I wanted to compete with myself and try to beat last year's time in this race by at least six seconds (54:20). As such, my pacing plan was to warm up for five minutes, rest, and then go out at 8:50/9:00 minutes a mile for the first half of the race and try to speed up from there. Thankfully, I calculated my halfway time (as per advice from Run for PRs, 2021) as my RunKeeper app was off. I ran mostly by feel, trying not to get too upset about the ladies out in front of me. 

Near the end of lap one, I noticed that people had gone the wrong way. Therefore, I no longer had anyone to chase, so I just had to run. I felt pretty good, so I kept at at moderately hard pace. Things started to feel harder at mile four, and somewhere around mile five, I just wanted to quit. (I wasn't really that tired, but somehow I lost motivation.) Much to my chagrin, I had to come to a complete stop with less than a mile left due to lack of traffic control issues. I think I lost about 10 seconds there. The guy behind me also caught up, and after not having to stop at the intersection, blazed right past me. I tried to gun it the last leg of the race despite not being able to catch him. I felt like I was going to puke, but I told myself to keep going. I came away with a time of 53:38, over forty seconds faster than my goal, and if we take away the 10 seconds I had to pause, I was less than a minute off my PR of 52:43. I'll take it!

Thoughts

My husband asked me what the best part of the race was. I told him I was encouraged that my training plan worked. It feels more sustainable than the plans I have used in the past. I also enjoyed running in my new Brooks Ghost shoes (such an investment, but so worth it!). As bonuses, he and my parents got to see me race. I saw a few friends who ran the 5k. AND...I took first in the women's division overall! (Mind you, this is a small, local race, so take that with a grain of salt.) I felt pretty toasted afterward, but thankful and proud, too. Next up, a little training reduction before moving into a preparation block for some spring racing. You can be sure I'll be taking the lessons I learned in this training cycle with me!


References:

Fitzgerald, M. (2014). 80/20 Running: Run stronger and race faster by training slower. Berkley.

RunforPRs [@RunforPRs]. (2021, April 29). 10k RACE WEEKEND. https://www.instagram.com/p/COP3y9YFWk9/?utm_medium=share_sheet&epik=dj0yJnU9UFM5dnpvYlpaLXNLaUpWWEt6UjZKUXdMNFIwV0U0RUMmcD0wJm49LVdOU04wajRYb1JHbEUtM2pFVzhpdyZ0PUFBQUFBR01kTUNj

Tollefson, C. (Host). (2022, March 17). The best ways to train. [Audio podcast episode]. In C Tolle Run. https://www.ctollerun.com/ben-rosario-the-best-ways-to-train/

No comments:

Post a Comment