Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Mesa Marathon 2022 10K Recap

 


Race: Mesa Marathon 10K

Time: 52:43

Pace: 8:30 min/mile

Place overall: 187/1583

Age Division: 8/114 (F 30-34)

If you want to know the stats, those are it. If you want to know the details, read on. (I am writing this re-cap as much for myself, as for anyone else. I am finding that re-reading my recaps helps me remember what works, and what doesn't as I prepare for the future.)

Training Plan:

I trained using Jenny Hadfield's Rock that 10-K advanced training plan. Three runs a week, two with speed intervals, and one long run (for the most part). I threw in Lea Gender's three strength exercises that every runner should do on Tuesdays. I tried Blogilates once for cross training, and didn't like it, so I skipped it. I did a concurrent 30 day yoga challenge in January, but otherwise did a three mile walk each day I didn't run. That was it.

Packet pick-up:

This race was a smoothly oiled machine! Pick up your packet. Pick up your shirt. Check your bib to make sure it's activated. Take pictures. Visit the expo! There is even an app that gives you points for expo booth visits! Race swag was good, too. There were the normal coupons and gimmicks, but also a nice double-walled tumbler, race ensignia socks, a heat blanket, and gloves for the morning (needed in the desert)!

The Night Before:

I don't remember exactly what I ate before my last 10K, but I know I had pancakes, so I did that again. Plus peanuts, a banana, hot chocolate (with peanut butter), a mug cake, and a few bites of granola. Yep, a lot of food, but I didn't want to be hungry. I tried to go to bed early, but landed at 9:45.

Day of (the prep):

I got up at 4 am, puttered for a bit, did PT for my arm, did my Lea Gender's warm-up, went up and down the stairs five times, and was off. I ate 1/2 cup of applesauce and took a few sips of water on the way to the busses. I intended to take the water bottle, but forgot it in the kerfluffle of leaving.

Getting on the busses was no problem! They gave us masks. We got seated. We drove. The busses definitely took the long way to get there, but maybe there was a reason.

Once at Fitch Park, I found water. (Praise the Lord, they had some, along with Gatorade, bananas, extra heat blankets, and extra gloves.) I stretched some, then went to the bathroom. I texted my husband. I went to the bathroom again. I jogged for five minutes. I went to the bathroom. I turned in my drop bag and wrapped myself in the mylar blanket while I waited for the anthem at 6:20. I wadded up my blanket, threw it to the side, and set up Runkeeper.

Goals:

A goal: 54:00 minutes

B goal: PR and/or negative splits

C goals: Catch an elite (watching!)/enjoy the run

The Race:

It took a while to get started. There were over 1,500 people, after all. (The announcers said the youngest was 8 or 10, and the oldest was 81. Over 70% were from out of town.) I had to weave a little bit, but not too much. I set my sights on a 9:00 minute first mile. I didn't quite make it, but close. If I wanted to get to my A goal of 54:00, I knew I needed a 8:43 minutes/mile pace. I figured if I could run at least half at 9:00 minutes/mile, I could shave the rest off at the end. Then I realized it wasn't really hard to run faster, so I clocked mile two at 8:34 minutes a miles. I told myself not to consider working hard until at least halfway. Miles three came in a little slower, 8:37. Then I told myself to start working. I wanted to leave it all on the line, but I was also fearful of working too hard and losing it. So mile four was 8:34 again. I got down to 8:17 for mile five, and a record breaking 7:57 for mile six, with 7:30 for the last two tenths of a mile. The end was hard! I was not tired, and thought I could/should go faster, but I didn't. 

Post-race:

This race takes care of you! There were lots of cheerleaders at aid stations along the way, and at the finish line. The finish line was smooth. There was water, chocolate milk, Gatorade, fruit, Chik-Fil-A, and ice cream all in the runner's area. Outside, there were massages and rapid reboot compression. At the results station, volunteers printed out times for runners. Volunteers helping runners reclaim their drop bags were super courteous and polite. There was free pizza and beer. (I claimed none.) There was also live music that could be heard a ways out. Hubby and I headed over to the finish line to catch Molly Seidel win the half, and then headed home. I was ready to stretch and have breakfast! We live near the marathon course, though so technically, we kind of listened to and watched the race the rest of the day.

Conclusion:

I am going to say that I met all of my goals. Should I maybe have gone harder? Maybe. But then getting another PR in my life would be even harder! I kind of like working, and still leaving some room. As for the race, I definitely want to do it again. Although racing an event of this caliber made me nervous, it also provided the upsides of organization and a very clearly marked course. I really enjoyed running and hope I do get to do that half in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment