Tuesday, February 1, 2022

The Power of a Praying Mom


Some of you may remember that I wrote a blog post some years back about the legacy of prayer that my mom lives out. Well, here's another story to prove it. Our washing machine has been making noises for an extended amount of time. Last week, my husband tore down the machine in an effort to fix it. After several days of wrestling, he came to the conclusion that the machine was defunct. That meant we needed to buy a whole new unit, washer and dryer. I had already made peace with the cost of a replacement, but then we discovered that we could not just go to the store and buy one. We had to order one, and the soonest we could get a delivery would be two weeks. Mind you, we already had overflowing dirty laundry hampers and I was running out of socks when we made the order. On top of everything else, that week, I lost my sunglasses. While trivial, these sunglasses meant a lot to me because my best friend me them and had our college logo on them. I had looked everywhere, and they were nowhere. Exasperated, I prayed, and with no apparent relief for distress in sight, I texted my mom asking her to pray as well. Things happen when moms pray, specifically my mom.

As my mind wandered while showering that night, I somehow landed on Costco. Does Costco sell washers and dryers, I wondered? I went and checked. Lo and behold, they do! And the unit we needed (a very specific one due to our space constraints) was a bit cheaper there than anywhere else, and a purchase included all the ancillary hookup equipment, and included free haul away of our old equipment. They could also deliver within the week. Wow! Totally a God-thing. We definitely pushed, "Pay now" almost immediately. I felt so relieved.

I still had not found my sunglasses, this week, and I was sad, but figured I could accept it given that the washer situation worked out. I had not completely given up when I went back to work, though, and sent an e-mail to the front office staff telling them I lost pink sunglasses, but did not know where. I got an e-mail back almost immediately that they had them! When I went to get them, the secretary explained that she had found them amongst trash in the parking lot, but thought that they were probably a kid's and picked them up and brought them back in, rather than tossing them. Another wow! As of today, our washer has been delivered and I have my sunglasses back. Big things and little things, God cares! And mom prayers, I tell you, get a praying mom (or mom figure) who loves the Lord because "the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective" (James 5:16, NIV).

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your affirmation, but the power is all in the One prayed to, not in the pray-er. He told us to ask and I do. Mom

    ReplyDelete