Monday, February 21, 2022

The Perspective Loss Provides


I am watching a lot of friends, family, and acquaintances lose loved ones. A lot of people are now living without their spouses. I see the pain they process on a frequent basis. Observing this loss gives me perspective.

If I am honest, I get frustrated with my husband way, way too often. I have very high (probably unrealistic and potentially unreasonable) expectations for myself, and by proxy, sometimes place those on him, which doesn't go well. While my husband is not perfect, he shows me a lot of grace. I, for so many of my own reasons, struggle to do the same. I am not proud of this, and I am also not ashamed to admit it. This is reality.

Loss is also a reality. While I have no reason to anticipate losing my husband any time soon, I also have no guarantees of how long God will allow us both to live. That should inform my treatment of him. That should influence my appreciation of my husband. It should affect how hard I work at my marriage.

Fear is not a good motivator. Reality, however, is. The reality is that each day is a gift. The reality is that I may not get tomorrow with my husband, or anyone else. That reality reminds me to count my blessings, to give thanks to God and to others, to live right now. Reality gives me perspective, for this present moment, and hopefully for as many future days as the Lord chooses to give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment