Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Acting Differently


I think I finally resolved all my car accident stuff. I think. I hope. It was a lot of back and forth between doctors, and insurance agents, and other insurance agents. Quite honestly, it was frustrating, even infuriating at times, but I think it's over. I hope.

Resolving the car accident settlement required being in a conference call between the insurance agent and a doctor's office. The providers weren't very polite to each other. I felt uncomfortable. I don't like rudeness. I tried not to be rude on my dealings with them, though I sometimes felt rude.

I finally got the paperwork. I signed it. I settled my case. (I hope. I pray. I think.) And then I found myself angry, really angry. In my flesh, I wished I had demanded more of the insurance company. I have spent a lot of time on this. Doesn't that count for something? I wanted to write a scathing review of a provider that I did not think served me well. I would not recommend them to others. I was so frustrated! And yet I felt convicted. Convicted that I had done the right thing by asking for coverage of my medical expenses, but not pain and suffering. Convicted that writing a bad review of a provider would not be Christlike. Convicted that I am supposed to "conduct [myself] in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ" (New International Version, 2011, Phil 1:27). I think sometimes I think that is easy. It's not.

I am not here to preach about what is right or wrong in dealings with the world. I am just here to share that though I want to live in a way that elevates Jesus, living like Him is not easy. It's a lot easier to live like the world, living for myself and my desires. To do otherwise is to fight myself, and often, to fight hard.

I think I finally resolved all my car accident stuff. I think. I hope. I pray. And I pray that I might have witnessed to the power of the gospel in the process, because it was only Christ in me that kept me from acting differently, and yet differently in a way that I pray could only point to something supernatural.

Reference:

New International Version. (2011). Bible Gateway. https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-International-Version-NIV-Bible/

No comments:

Post a Comment