Monday, June 26, 2023

I Wasn't Ready.


I wasn't ready to replace the air conditioner in our home, but then our air conditioner quit in the heat of summer. The repair man said it was best to replace, rather than repair, the unit. I didn't want to, but it was the best decision, so we did.

I wasn't ready to purchase a new car, but then ours got totaled in an accident that wasn't our fault. We had to either pay for a rental, go without a car, or buy what we could find. My husband found us a car that was not our top pick, but work work, so we bought it. 

I wasn't ready to remodel our kitchen, but then our refrigerator quit, and taking it out damaged our flooring. We didn't really have a choice but to replace the floor, or for that matter, cut the cabinet under which the new fridge wouldn't fit unless we did.

I wasn't ready to learn a new operating system for my laptop, especially after having to set up a new laptop just two years ago. Then the screen on my new laptop separated. My husband said the best thing to do was buy a new laptop. He would not settle for the budget model this time. It was a good laptop, or nothing. So now I am learning how to use something new again. It is frustrating, but necessary.

I think I live under the illusion that I have more power than I actually have. I think that as an adult, I often believe that I have the ability to choose when I will make changes in my life. No, not really. Changes comes whether I like them or not. And changes often bring good things. Don't get me wrong, all the new stuff we have had to purchase has been expensive. But (after the sticker shock and adjustment periods), the changes have been good:

Our new air conditioner works more efficiently and saves us on our utility bills.

Our new car gets good gas mileage and has taken us on many important journeys, from friend's weddings to family emergencies, to our daily jobs, and more.

Our new refrigerator has many nice conveniences, not the least of which is an ice maker which we especially appreciate on these hot summer days.

My new computer, well, it is new, and still a source of some frustration, but Lord willing, it should last up to ten years and reduce need for more purchases and change-outs of more cheap models.

I wasn't ready. To be honest, I'm rarely ready, but to change up the lyrics of Mercy Me's Song, "Bring the Rain:"

"Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the [change]"

No comments:

Post a Comment