Saturday, October 1, 2016

Another Month, Another Blog

Here's a recap on The List. Only three more months of the year and then it's time to make a new list. I'd like to go smaller next time. The length of this list makes it hard to focus.

2) Stop checking e-mail on my phone while at work.
I check for mail when I get to work, at lunch, and before I leave. Having to "hide" my phone usage from students helps my self control. (Students aren't allowed to have their phones out at school.)

3) Use more glass storage containers and less plastic.
I bought this set of glass bowls for like $6 at TJ Maxx, and they're invaluable!  Now I want to buy more so that I can pack all five of my lunches at once. (I often use two plastic containers when I do this.)

4) Find my rambunctious side again.
???

5) Memorize some new scripture, or at least review the old.
I finished reviewing Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians. I'm trying to memorize Galatians, but let's be honest: I'm not doing a very good job. I just don't make time to memorize any more.

6) Clean out the pantry (fridge, freezer, et. al) and go on a grocery spend fast
until it is done.
Since I'm living at home with my parents, Mom buys most of the groceries. I still try to make recipes that use up what's in the cupboards, though. Today, I made this Caribbean black eyed peas stew with leftover beans, potatoes we had in the produce bowl, and the cilantro in the fridge from last week's curry.

7) Purge excess. Soak up blessing.
I'm doing quite fine living a simpler life (sans the stuff in storage)...except I need my winter clothes. I don't know where I'll put them, but I need them.

8) Run a 5K.
I ran in The Patriot 5K September 10. My family watched for the first time, which was super fun!


9) Embrace the quiet.
I realized last month that I hadn't taken time for a silent retreat since I moved home. That's a two month hiatus...not good. So I went to church Saturday night and spent some time alone Sunday morning. I got to calm my mind and think a little. The only realization I had is that God is able, big enough to accomplish whatever He wants to do. I don't know what that means specifically, but it's a truth I need to remember. Therefore, I posted it to my mirror.

10) Pursue counseling licensure.
My LAC license finally arrived! Now I need to find a way to use it in two years before I lose it.

11) Rest.
I was going to bed earlier, but I've had late nights this week. I'm slow at snacking, lolly-gagging around. My mind is going a million miles an hour. I need to find ways to rest my mind so I can rest my body, too.

12) Trim down the processed. Bulk up the produce. (In my diet)
I'm eating vegetables, but I'm also eating lots of cold cereal-maybe because I didn't buy it as a single person? I don't know. I'm just trying to let my body have what it wants.

13) Bullet journal plan—streamline my to-do list.
Still at it! I even do this at work. I've shown students the basics in case they want to try. I'm definitely a fan!

14) Finish the books I have and read more.
I was reading a lot of fiction, but this week, I've read very little. I started Brene Brown's Rising Strong, which is awesome, but I need to finish it before it's due at the library next Saturday.

15) Spend time with and love the people around me. 
Working on it. Living with family reminds me how selfish I am sometimes. There's a balance between self-care and self-preservation and selflessness that I'm still trying to find.

16) Blog. Instagram. Something. (Experiment.) 
I took last month off Instagram to rest priorities, and I want to go back. The problem is that I feel so much pressure to make a good first post. I probably just need to post and get it over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment