Monday, October 3, 2016

When God Doesn't Make Sense

My family and I are struggling with some unanswered prayer right now. I won't go into specifics to preserve the anonymity of the person involved, but it's hard. And we're in the middle of a sermon series at church on prayer, which makes it really hard. We're praying, and God isn't answering.

The sermon this week was on prayer and fasting. I'll admit that I haven't fasted over this particular issue, but I have prayed; like crazy I've prayed. And though I believe in the value of the spiritual discipline of fasting, I don't believe that God is a vending machine. Putting fasting in isn't going to yield the answer to our prayer.

Here's the thing: God is sovereign. God is omniscient. God is infinite. His plans are way above ours (Isa 55:9). He's going to answer when He's going to answer, like it or not. It's not that He doesn't care, but that He cares enough to give us His best, and it's apparently not time for that.

Lots of people lose faith or give up on faith because of unanswered prayer. I can't. God is my hope. God is the reason for my existence. I didn't start up a relationship with God to make my life easy. I started it because it was the only way to have life. So I'm clinging, hoping, praying. By God's grace, I will not give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment