Saturday, September 22, 2018

Legacy




It would have been 62 years today. Sixty-two years that my grandparents had been married. Nana went to be with Jesus three years ago, but I know that Granddad is still celebrating.

Sixty two is a big number. More than double my age. Large compared to the number of years most marriages last. One, maybe five or seven year; ten or fifteen if you're lucky.

What were the secrets to my grandparents' long lasting marriage? You'd have to ask them to be sure, but if you ask me, there were two: Jesus and mutual service. Nana and Granddad met at Bible school where they were both pursuing the things God had called them to do: Nana teaching, and Granddad preparing to be a Bible translator. Jesus was always at the center of their relationship and their marriage, and they agreed on big life decisions based on that foundation. When it came to service, there may have been some silliness, but they loved each other, and it showed. Nana followed Granddad literally all over the world when he served as a missionary pilot. She tended to him when he was deathly ill from appendictis. She prayed for him. She let him go to far places to investigate plan crashes. When Nana got too sick to travel, Granddad gave up his career to retire and stay home. Granddad cared for Nana like none other, tending to the house, taking her to doctor appointments, and making more than one trip to the emergency room. When it came time to move, Granddad did the heavy work so Nana could rest. As Nana's mind tired, Granddad stayed by her side, rarely leaving even to go grocery shopping because he knew it would unsettle her. Granddad cared for Nana right up to the end, too, sitting with her for hours in the med facility where professionals had to attend to her big medical needs. Nana wasn't always fully cognizant of what was going on around her, but she knew Granddad was there because their bond was so close.

When I think of legacy, I think of my grandparents' marriage. I don't know at this stage if I'll ever get married, but if I do, I do know this: only a marriage that is founded on Jesus survives.

So on this day, September 22, 2018, happy anniversary, Granddad and Nana. I love you and thank you for leaving the legacy of a marriage that points me to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment