Monday, April 10, 2023

Real Life Marriage: The Gift


Marriage is a gift. Do I always see it that way, though? Sadly, no. Sometimes marriage is work. Sometime marriage is difficult. Sometimes marriage exposes my sin. Though I can't and wouldn't go back to being single, sometimes it seems like it would be easier.

My dad told me when I was single that marriage was just as hard as being single. I somewhat resented him at the time, because I wanted so badly to be married. Now, I understand. Being single has its difficulties. Being married has its difficulties. You choose your hard.

Still, marriage is a gift. Through marriage, God provides companionship. Through marriage, God sanctifies. I am well aware that marriage is not guaranteed, as I have oh so many lovely friends who long to become married, but are not. Marriage, therefore, is ultimately a gift of grace, one I do not deserve, but one I am blessed to have.

When I see marriage as a gift, it changes my perspective on how I relate to my husband. It causes me to practice more patience. It causes me to see conflict in terms of growth. It helps me become more grateful, even and especially when I do not get my way, or things do not go the way I planned. Marriage becomes less about me and more about celebrating what God has done.

Marriage is a gift, a gift from God. May I see it as such. May I steward it as such, to God's honor and glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment