Friday, June 10, 2022

Marriage, Year Three: It's Been Hard.


When I started my Real Life Marriage series three years ago, I set out to be transparent about the journey of life that is marriage. While I never want to paint marriage in a bad light, I do want to shine light on some of the real struggles. This year has included more of those, so while I would like to write some glowing review of the wonders of marriage, I can't. I can just say it's hard.

Life has been stressful. Our roles are still a little flip-flopped while my husband finishes up some school stuff. We vowed, "For better, or for worse," though. It could be worse, and we're thankful it's not. But it's still been hard.

COVID, the war in Ukraine, and inflation have made finances tighter. We are not hurting by any means, but we have had to talk a lot more about our money. It's good, and it's uncomfortable, and even upsetting and stressful and times. We thank God for what we have and that most of all, we have each other, "for richer or for poorer," even if it's hard.

We've had our fair share of health struggles over the past 12 months. I got COVID last summer and had a surgical procedure in December. We've been doing tests for some ongoing issues for both my husband and I that, as of yet, have to be resolved. We've gotten a taste of our vows to stick together, "in sickness and in health." I wouldn't choose these struggles. They've been hard. I wouldn't want to pick anyone else to do them with, though.

We promised to love and cherish each other. I often don't do a good job of that. I'm still committed to this marriage "until death do us part," though. Even if it's hard, we still have each other. We have the hope of Jesus. That gives us strength to keep on going.


No comments:

Post a Comment