Sunday, June 19, 2022

Things I Learned From My Dad


My dad taught me a lot of things. Yes, my mom had a big role in my life, too. Some lessons came more clearly from my dad, though:

1) Chivalry matters. My dad taught me early on that men open doors for ladies as a sign of respect. He even took me for rides in his old car where the passenger door wouldn't open from inside to prove it!

2) Leave the place cleaner than you left it. We never, EVER littered, but when we went out into the forest, Dad encouraged us to clean up after not only ourselves. The place should look better, not worse, for us being there, he taught us.

3) Work hard. I don't ever remember Dad teaching us this directly, but he demonstrated it. In the workplace and at home, he labored hard. There was just no other option for him. His example set a standard for us kids.

4) Reading the Bible is work, but worth it. Dad didn't always like to read, but he would sit down and try to read his Bible every day. He showed us the value of the effort, even though it might have been hard for him at times.

5) Do the right thing. Dad had lots of strong beliefs growing up, and although he could compromise where compromising was appropriate, he would not back down on what mattered. He took some flak for his stances, and sometimes still does. He taught me that doing the right thing is the right thing to do, popular or not.

The Apostle Paul gave dads a strong command in Ephesians. "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord" (Eph 6:10). Dad, you did a good job of that. I am still learning from you, too. Thank you! I love you, and Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment