Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Real Life Marriage: Where is My Sin?

I got really super frustrated about something the other night. I knew that it did not matter in the sense of eternity (in fact, I had just listened to a podcast about priorities in light of eternity), but I was still really irritated. So I started asking, "Where is my sin?" "Where is my sin?" At first, I could not figure it out. I felt like the matter at hand was a matter of preference, a matter of comfort. I needed and wanted it, but it was not necessary, so why could I not let it go? As I continued to think and ponder, I realized the issue at hand was that I was feeling unsafe in my circumstances. An issue? Yes. But the sin associated? Looking to people, places, and things instead of God for comfort. That was a bigger issue.

In the course of my marriage thus far, I have realized time and time again that I can seek comfort in my husband instead of in God. My husband is a tremendous gift and a source of comfort, but when I make him the source of comfort, I place him in the role of God, which is not his place. Then, when my husband does not do all that I expect him, too. I get really upset, sad, and angry. I need to rely on God first, and then as God directs, allow my husband to give some comfort.

There is a place for sharing with my husband my needs for comfort and safety. Before God, he has some responsibility to caring for me. Assessing how well he is doing, though, is not my primary job. When I find myself feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, my job is to ask, "Where is my sin?" I need to ask the Holy Spirit to convict me of what I am idolizing and confess and repent. Might my husband have sin? Yes, but dealing with his sin is not my job. My job is dealing with my sin. May the Spirit help me do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment