Monday, August 16, 2021

I Read My Bible Standing Up.


Confession: Most days, I read my Bible standing up. So what? You might ask. I am reading on my phone. I am reading on the go. I read one handed while I do physical therapy exercises. I read as I go on morning walks. I read as I foam roll. I rarely actually sit down to read my paper Bible. I feel like I am "cheating," like I'm not giving my reading the full focus I should. I feel like reading on my phone is less worthwhile than reading my paper Bible. Maybe it is, but this is life right now, and I'm trying to prioritize reading. Reading standing up in one way I do it.

As I thought about my Bible reading one morning as I walked and read, I had a new insight. The Spirit brought to mind Deuteronomy 6:6-7 where Moses says,

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. (New International Version)

I guess I am unintentionally fulfilling that commandment right now: reading while I am out and about, reading on the go, thinking about and meditating on God's word as I move about. Reading standing up is not what I set out to do. I set out to read my Bible daily (instead of listening to it, or just not doing it.) By God's grace I am. My style may be atypical, but maybe, by God's provision, it actually has some benefit. When I have the opportunity to sit down and read my paper Bible, I will, and I will enjoy it. But when I don't, I will probably keep reading my Bible standing up. It is a way to keep God's commandments on my heart, as the Bible commands that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment