Thursday, June 14, 2018

How a Screw and a Flat Tire Reminded Me of the Goodness of God


"I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."
~Psalm 27:13, New International Version

Last Wednesday, on the way back from an early morning physical therapy appointment, I heard what sounded like a tire popping. I catastrophized and thought my car might collapse to the ground, and strand me, but it didn't. So I drove to work and worked out my day. As I went to get in the car (with a kid) to go home, however, a work van waved me down and said, "Do you know your tire is flat?"

I was like, "No."

"Do you have a spare?" They asked.

"Yes," I said and started moving stuff around in my trunk to get at the spare. I got out the spare and the two men changed my tire in under ten minutes. I took the kid home, took myself home, and got Dad to help me make a plan for fixing my tire before I drove to the airport early Saturday morning.

I'd had a pretty overwhelming day that day, but this incident reminded me that life could be worse. I could have gotten stuck on the side of the road between physical therapy and Prescott. I could have tried to drive on my flat tire and damaged the tire rim or my car. I could have had to wait for Dad to come change my tire at work. 

But God in his providence provided two nice men to drive into the work parking lot at just the right time. I knew they were safe because they were in a work van. They were willing to change my tire and didn't ask for compensation. I have reason to believe that God orchestrated this series of events, too, because I said something to the men about the fact that I don't believe in coincidence. The one man replied, "He makes everything happen for a reason." Yes He does!

God is good and there are still good people in the world. "I [do] see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living" (Ps 27:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment