Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Scary Things I've Done Lately

In the nature of embracing fears, I thought I'd share just a few scary things I've done lately to live life free:

(Here's a list I previously made.)

I cut my hair. To be precise, I cut 10 inches off my hair. 



I've cut my hair before. But this time I was afraid. I was afraid of what others would think, specifically my dad. I was afraid I wouldn't like it. I was afraid I'd look ugly. I was afraid I wouldn't feel like myself. But then on the cruise I had this flash of inspiration that I'd be myself, haircut or not. I could belong to myself (Cue Brene Brown's Braving the Wilderness book, which I was reading at the time) and to God, long- or short-haired. So I did it. 



In hindsight, I'm glad I cut my hair now. The hairdresser did a great job and styling my hair now is fast easy and convenient. I've received a lot of compliments. Even my dad says he likes the cut. I like it so much I think I might even keep it this way for awhile. But I wouldn't have known the joys of my new 'do without facing my fears of it.

I've been speaking my mind more. This can get me into trouble, and I definitely need to speak the truth in love (Eph 4:15). But I'm tired of being the quiet, meek girl in the back row pew pretending to be dumb. (Cue Matt Chandler's exhortation in his Beautiful Design sermon series.) I've got an opinion and I'm trying to learn to share it, albeit respectfully.

I climbed a mountain. This is a traditional hike for my family, but I haven't done it in a while. The trail was steep and the terrain loose and scary. Mom told me to look down and see how far we'd come. Since my fear of heights has grown as I've aged, I just kept looking up until I got to our final destination, and I made it. I looked down only on the return hike, because I had to.



Embracing fear doesn't always pay off. Sometimes it results in hurt (physical, mental, and/or emotional), hangups, and heartbreak. But in the long run, if I want to live life free, I've got to take some risks and feel some pain. In the face of that pain, victories like these feel even more freeing and joyful.

Friends, has embracing fear and/or taking risks brought joy to you lately? Please share your experiences in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment