Monday, August 27, 2018

Who I Serve and Where I'm Going

Arizona lost a public servant this past Saturday. Regardless of political or religious party, I think it's hard to argue that John McCain was anything but a servant. He was first a member of the United States military, then a POW, a senator, and a presidential candidate. As Arizona and the nation have mourned his loss, I have seen his likeness and life story posted everywhere. And the one burning question I have is, "I wonder where he is now."

John McCain was not overtly religious. He was more about politics than asserting his personal beliefs. But he is still a human with a destiny, and I hope He is with Jesus.

McCain's daughter Meghan posted the following on Instagram and it gives me some hope:



But in my mind, stating that McCain is with the "Author of All Things" still does not make it clear what he believed. It's not my place to judge, it's just that I care where he went.

As I've reflected on the uncertainty of McCain's whereabouts, I've thought about my own life. I am not always open about what I believe, nor overtly expressive about whom I serve. I have faith in God through the Lord Jesus Christ, but I'm not shouting that from the street corners. I believe that I'll go to heaven because of what Christ did on the cross to pay for my sins, but I don't want to beat people over the head with it. Rather than advertising my faith on back of my t-shirt or the rear window of my car, I hope live in a way that demonstrates Who I worship and where I'm going. 

Whenever I go, I want people to know that I serve Jesus 
and that my forever home is in heaven. 

May the Holy Spirit continue His work in me to make that truth evident.

No comments:

Post a Comment