Monday, July 20, 2020

Listen Without Being Defensive.


A few months ago, my husband and I started a habit of trying to focus each week on improving one area of our marriage. One of the areas we wanted to improve was communication. Being the detailed person that I am, I wanted a specific goal when it came to communication week, so I polled Google for ideas. I came upon "Keys to Effective Communication in Marriage" and decided to work on listening without being defensive. I didn't think I was that argumentative, but I figured it was worth a try. Trust God to bring about focus on an area of my life that really needs attention. 

I was defensive all week, starting with my marriage, and extending from there. I give my husband a rationale for almost every decision I make. My husband tells me I don't need to do so because he trusts me, but I do it anyway. When he shares news, I play the devil's advocate. I'm being defensive. I even read news to him in order to verbally combat it. Goodness!

When Arizona's COVID-19 numbers spiked, national criticism started rolling in. News syndicates bashed the state for its lack of preparations. High school friends who used to live here wrote on social media. I felt a need to write a blog post to defend myself and "my" state. Why? I had no need to defend. The numbers are what they are. My family and I are trying to be responsible. Seriously, the only reason I didn't write the post, though, because it was listening week.

My boss called me in for a meeting at the end of the week. I wasn't in trouble. He just wanted to give me feedback. I confess that I had all kinds of defenses for my actions rolling around in my head as we met, though. What I needed to do was listen and receive.

I went to write an e-mail to the people I serve at work, and I found myself wanting to defend my statements, making for a long and complicated e-mail. There was no need to defend. What the people  needed from me was information. I tried to keep this in mind. I wanted them to listen, not read and write their own defense.

The Bible says, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." I didn't see myself as a confrontational person before this week. I hadn't considered that my words could be stirring up anger in others. Defensive words are not always gentle, though, so I am guilty. Listening without defense is a good suggestion for marriage, but really, it's a good suggestion for life. Perhaps if we could listen a little more, we'd all be in a better place, in our marriages, in our relationships outside marriage, and in the world overall.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly brilliant. It's become such a second nature thing to be defensive when sometimes things just are the way they are and all we can do it do our best on our part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let's all do our best to listen a little more. I'm continuing to be convicted of just how much I need to do that.

      Delete