Monday, March 28, 2022

Idolatry: The Rhythm of My Sinful Heart


Idols. They can be graven images. Baby Buddhas. Ceramic statues. And they can also be matters of the heart. Things I set my eyes on instead of Jesus. Good things that become ultimate things. Freedom, security, comfort. Rhythms I am supposed to seek with God, but instead look for in earthly things or earthly people. Oh, how guilty my heart is of idolatry!

God gives many good and precious gifts. He is the creator and originator of these gifts (James 1:17). When my heart turns towards the gift and not the giver, though, these things become idols. It is good to work hard, and to chase good things for God's glory (Col 3:17, 23). Oh how easily my heart turns astray to chase these things instead of Jesus, however. Comfort is a good thing. God is perfect peace (Isa 26:3). Far too easily, however, comfort becomes an idol (TerKeurst, 2021). There are many good things we have in Christ, but I must never let them surpass God, and how easily they can in my fallen sinful state.

Thanks be to God, he is not finished with his work in me (Phil 1:6). He is driving out the idols little by little, and ever filling their space in my life with his completely satisfying self (Deut 7:22). The Spirit ever convicts me, even as the world continues to throw itself at me. Because I am a new creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:17), I don't have to sin when I am tempted (Bridges, 2012). Idolatry is my old nature. Worship of God is the new way. May the Spirit ever attune my heart to the Lord so that my life may not sing the praises of this world, but of the God who saved me from such a world as this.

Reference:

Bridges, J. (2012). Who am I? Identity in Christ. Cruciform Press.

TerKeurst, L. (2021, August 12). When comfort is my enemy. Proverbs 31 Ministries. https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2021/08/12/when-comfort-is-my-enemy

No comments:

Post a Comment