Monday, March 21, 2022

Struggle: A Matter of Perspective


Life is a struggle. Maybe not always. Maybe not forever. But it's hard, or at least has hard parts. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. As much as I want the hard to go away, I don't think it's beneficial to focus there. What I need to do more is learn how to work with the struggle, to cope in the struggle, to work through the struggle.

If you have read this blog for awhile, you know I am into running. It can be hard. I can struggle. While listening to Boston Marathon champ Des Linden (2021) on the Clean Sport Collective, though, I heard her say something to the extent of, "Who am I when it's rough?" That gave me pause. What if, instead of trying to avoid the struggle, I welcomed it as an opportunity to assess my character? What if I saw it as a chance to growth my character? Instead of trying to make struggle go away, maybe I could allow it to teach me.

If I accepted that life has rough parts, maybe I could learn to deal with them better, too. Ben Stuart (2022) in That Sounds Fun, asked, "If life is a struggle, how can I struggle well?" That also gave me reason to think. If I accept struggle, I can change my focus to struggling well, to coping well, to struggling though.

Life is a struggle. Life has struggle. I really think dealing with it is a matter of perspective. May God equip me with his power to have it and act on it.

Reference:

Downs, A. F. (Host). (2022, January 27). Ben Stuart + Rest & War (Episode 360). [Audio podcast episode]. In That sounds fun. https://www.anniefdowns.com/podcast/episode-360-ben-stuart-rest-war/

Goucher, K., Burnette, S., and McClung, C. (Hosts). (2021, October 25). Catching up with Des Linden (No. 97). [Audio podcast episode]. In Clean sport collective. https://podcasts.apple.com/lk/podcast/episode-97-catching-up-with-des-linden/id1466187704?i=1000539691655

No comments:

Post a Comment