Sunday, April 10, 2022

Real Life Marriage: Pest or Prayer Warrior

I need to be a bit of a nag. Being a "J" (Judger) on the Meyers-Briggs personality test, I tend to want things clear cut, black and white, right now. My husband is a "P" (Perceiver), more chill, more go with the flow, more person-centered, if I am honest. Sometimes that causes issues. When we make decisions, I want things done now, yesterday. So I pester. I nag. What I really need to do is pray.

My husband is a good, godly man. God has blessed me in this. So can't I trust my husband to act on decisions in the right time? My anxiety and desire to have things done right now can get in the way, but what I really need to do is pray. First, I need to pray for my heart, that I will be right with God; able to roll my anxiety on him, and so able to respect my husband. Then I need to pray for my husband, that he will be open to God's moving, and that God will move his heart at the right time. Although, I often want things now, that is not always God's way, and often, God uses my husband to slow me down so that I don't get things through my own sinful means.

I have unfortunately nagged my husband about many things. In many cases, I have gotten around to giving up and deciding to be quiet and pray. Then, lo and behold, in some time, God has moved. I do not want to treat God like a vending machine in that I can pray and get what I want, but I think it is telling that when I finally surrender to God's order for our home and wait, God chooses to move.

I am not good at waiting. This much is true. I am also not good at praying. I need a lot of practice. Being in the partnership of marriage gives me plenty reason for that practice, so may I choose to submit to it more. I love God and I love my husband. I do not want to be a pest. I want to be a prayer warrior. May the Spirit equip me to be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment