Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Longer Races Are My Thing.

I think longer races are my thing. Don't get me wrong. Shorter races are "easier," in that they take less time. I am not that quick, though, and fighting to be quick just seems too hard. I think I prefer gutting it out to make it the distance rather than trying to force my body to pick up speed for the short term. My mom told me after I ran my first 10K that I would not be satisfied with shorter distances, and well, she was right.

I have only run a very few 5Ks since that first 10K, partly because of COVID, and partly because I like the longer races now. The longer races require a longer training period. I like training, because training helps me run with purpose. Longer races give me a good challenge, too. 

Will I someday increase my distance? Well, I did run one half marathon. I would like to run another. Running is a stress, though, and with currentlife stressors, I think training for another half might be too much right now (Run Wild Retreats, 2021). We'll see. Lord willing that stress goes down, it could be on the table. And a full marathon? That was once on my bucket list. I'm very unsure about that now. While it sounds like a lovely accomplishment, I am not sure my body or life can take it. So longer runs, but not a marathon, are on my list.

--

Readers who run? What your favorite distances and why? Please share in the comments section.

Reference:

Run Wild Retreats. (2021). The truth about running and stress. https://runwildretreats.com/the-truth-about-running-and-stress/#:~:text=It%20clears%20the%20mind%2C%20stimulates,you%20fitter%2C%20stronger%20and%20faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment