Sunday, December 10, 2023

Real Life Marriage: In Sickness and In Health (A Reprise)


I hate sickness. I really do. I am somewhat of a germaphobe, and when people around me are sick, I freak Like obsess over when I am going to get sick, clean every door knob and light switch with Lysol, etc. But what do I do when my spouse is sick? I cannot exactly avoid him like the plague. As a wife, it is my job to help care for him. And since we live in a small condo, I really cannot avoid him.

I am usually the weaker link in our relationship. With my dystonia and other health issues, I am usually the one going down. Twice last year, though, my husband has been the one to go down, and with very contagious illnesses. First it was COVID, and then the stomach flu? What to do?

I tried to keep my distance with COVID, but who was I kidding? That stuff is super contagious! I made it through a trip to the store for all things cough-related, but sure enough, three days later, it hit. Bummer. Not the way we planned to spend time off together, but at least we were together. Thankfully, our cases were light and we just laid on the couch for a few days watching Christmas movies while we recovered.

Then it was the stomach flu. Neither of us have thrown up in years, but he picked up the bug somewhere, and yuck. It was terrible! Thankfully he could get himself to the bathroom and back, but was I really going to refuse to get him cool rags and fluids and blankets when he got shivering cold? I did disinfect a lot, and I washed my hands a lot, but that was all I could do.

The Lord did spare me from the stomach flu, and I am oh, so thankful. Having the tables turned on illness in our home, though, was good for me. It forced me to rely on the Lord and His strength. It reminded me how much I enjoy doing life with my husband, and how much I appreciate him being healthy enough to do so. As I was reading WayMaker by Ann Voskamp (2022) during this time, it reminded me that struggle can make us stronger. Struggle is not something I would choose, but it is something God can use. 

"In sickness and in health." These were my vows. For the first part of our marriage, they were more about my husband than me. Now they have been more about him. Marriage has times and seasons. These are ours. To God be the glory!

Reference:

Voskamp, A. (2022). WayMaker: Finding the life you've always dreamed of. Thomas Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment