Friday, September 27, 2024

The Simplified Life (September)


Sometimes, simple does not mean minimal. Sometimes simplicity has a cost. This month has been a case study in that.

For example, I recently decided to invest in a good pair of shoes for work. I had been reusing old running shoes as work shoes, as they aren't really that worn out, the foam has just compressed to the point of discomfort while running. Doing this worked, but only if I alternated regularly between pairs, so as to avoid foot pain from the lack of cushion. I got to a point where all the pairs in my work rotation were really bugging me though, and my husband encouraged me to buy one new pair, in a brand recommended by coworkers. Man did they cost a lot, but so far, they feel good! The purchase of new footwear reduced the number of shoes on our shoe rack (clutter), as I recycled the old pairs through which I had been rotating. Additionally, this purchase eliminated the decision fatigue of daily shoe choice. My comfort level has improved, which reduces body strain and fatigue. The weight of life overall feels lighter.

In my running journey thus far, I have primarily preferred to use fruit pouches for long run fuel. They are less expensive than gels, healthier, and easier to buy at the grocery store. After making a splurge purchase on running gels and trying them out, however, I am hooked. Running gels are much more concentrated, and take up less space, meaning I can transport them more easily. They give me energy fast, versus slow. (On the run, versus in real life, I want fast, rather than slow digesting fuel.) Yes, the gels cost double the amount of fruit pouches, but they are making my running life more enjoyable. My runs are also more productive, in terms of performance goals.

On that note, the cheapest place to buy gels for running is yes, Amazon. Other places have the same price, but require shipping fees. I considered an Amazon order, but realized it would mean buying flavors of gels I did not like. Would I save money doing so? Yes. But would it simplify life? No, not really. I would be complicating life by trying to force down fuel I don't like. So, I paid the extra $7.95 shipping cost and ordered from The Feed to get just the gels I wanted, and none of the ones I did not. Minimal cost? No. An easier, more enjoyable life? Yes.

I made yet another purchase to solve the problem of running gels littering the counter. I could spend my time continually rearranging the bags that came from The Feed, or buy an organizer. I chose the latter. Yes, it is another thing in our home, but one I can use for multiple purposes (eg organizing other kitchen paraphernalia, if not in a season where I have tons of gels lying about). Win on that front.

In terms of multiple purchases, I have discovered that my husband and I can use the same shampoo/conditioner (that is, I can use his product). It has a neutral scent, and as long as I add conditioner, it works. Why buy another product and add to the overwhelm in the shower? He's good. I'm good. Less products purchased there.

On the subject of multiple products to do one thing, I use lotion to remove eye makeup. Is it meant for that? No. Do I really care? No. In another life, might I buy a product specifically made to remove eye makeup and enjoy it? Yes. But right now, I am prioritizing my running, and my money and efforts are going there. While I may not be simplifying the number of things in my house as I invest more in more running journey, I am simplifying my priorities.

I continue to try to reduce decision fatigue by making decisions immediately. For example, when I got my hair cut this month, I scheduled my next appointment. Yes, I might overthink it later (wonder if I need it and want to spend the money), but at least it's done for now and I don't have to monitor my hair to figure out when to schedule next. I just have my haircut on a schedule. Rinse and repeat.

Did I spend a lot of money this month? Yes. Does my life feel more organized as a result? Yes. I've been choosing my battles, and this month, order mattered, so that's where my money went.

No comments:

Post a Comment