Wednesday, May 5, 2021

33.

Honestly, I don't really feel like doing a birthday review this year. It's been a long year and I don't feel like I've been that successful. I did do some hiking. I returned to running once more. I read a lot of books. I baked. I wish I had more "big" things to share, but some times the big things are the little things. On that note, birthday reviews are routine, a little thing, and if nothing else, I will complete this one as an act of gratitude. Gratitude was, after all, one of my goals for last year.



Who knew what 2020 would hold when I wrote about year 32? We were fresh into lockdown and only more was to come. Masks mandates came for us in June and still remain for our cities. In spite of all the restrictions, we were able to see family and even extended family, which were true blessings. I continued my 1,000 gifts list and got to . I have kept up that habit and try to contribute at least 10 items a day, five in the morning and five at night. Often, I add more than ten items a day, more as a habit than as a have-to.

I have pretty much tanked the joy. I had some joy, sure, but I also kind of gave up on trying to find joy. I read books about joy and learned I need to "stay with" joy in order to really receive its benefits. That still needs a lot of work. I am trying to watch for delight and savor it.

My self-care tanked this year (not like it's ever been good). I started a self-care list based on the five love languages a little while ago and that has made self-care a daily "to-do." It's helped...some. I did the 30 day evening yoga challenge with Kassandra. I think that was my biggest one.

I usually make three goals for the next year on my birthday, but this year I have just one: Live. The three goals birthday tradition started in college when we used to ask each other a question for every year of life. Well, we're too old for that now. It would take too long and we're too spread apart. So this year, I'm discontinuing that tradition, or at least putting it on hiatus. I'm thankful for another year, and it was a rough one, so this coming year, I just want to live. My husband tells me that I try to control too much, so perhaps this is my act of letting go--or maybe it's a goal in disguise. Either way, here we go towards year 34.




No comments:

Post a Comment