Monday, April 3, 2023

Grace


My husband and I had just driven an hour to get to the hiking trail. The sign said we needed to pay a cash entrance fee. I hoped there might be an ATM. As we walked up to the rustic gatehouse, I realized, however, there would be no such ATM. There probably was not even power I did not want to turn back now, though. So I waited. And when I got to the front of the line, somewhat sheepishly, I asked the attendant, "What is the nearest place to get cash? We did not know you did not take cards."


And she replied, "Don't worry about it. Catch us next time. It's a beautiful day, and I wouldn't want to keep you from it."


I thanked her, and a little embarrassed, we continued through. My husband said he felt bad. I felt bad. I started to make excuses for ways they could get paid (eg a phone app, or something), but didn't. And then I found myself thinking that I could somehow get on a website when I got home and make a donation to make up for not paying. And then the Spirit whispered, "That was a gift of grace. You don't pay grace back."


And I thought to myself how many times I try to earn God's favor. How often I try to pay back grace. But then it's not grace. It's works. Grace is God giving me a FREE gift I don't deserve.

We didn't deserve to get a pass on our hike that day. Even more so, I do not deserve God's grace. It is a blessing though. It is a gift. Praise God for it, for through it, by faith, we are saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment