Monday, May 8, 2023

Celebrating a Birthday on the Cheap


I think that having a budget is important for everyone, no matter how much they make. Budgeting is especially important in our house right now, however, as we live off one income in an attempt to accomplish some life goals. Hence celebrating my birthday on the cheap. Yes, we could have set aside more money for celebrating, but I enjoy the thrill of chasing down a deal, so that's what I did. Here are tips if you want to do what I did:

1) Make time for things you love. One of those things for me is running. It doesn't cost anything, but I do need time for it. Cost of carving out that time: $0 

2) Sign up for loyalty rewards. Yes, the e-mails are pesky, but you get free stuff. For me, this was a small pillar candle. Value: $13. Cost to me: $0

3) Take advantage of free birthday meals. Yes, you might have to pay for your spouse and/or children, but you still save money. Value of hamburger: $5.84. Cost to me: $0. Cost of spouse's meal: $8.09

4) Add your birthday to earn points. Crumbl cookies is one business that gives you a freebie for doing so. Value of cookie: $5.30. Cost to me: $0. Cost of spouse's cookie: $5.30

5) Order yourself things you need, and save them to open on your birthday. I needed running shoes, which were not cheap, but a "gift," that is special. Cost of running shoes to the celebration budget: $0. Joy of opening: immense. Cost to my running budget: we won't talk about it (but I had enough in the fund to cover it).

6) Look for local free events. We are fortunate enough to have a university by us that frequently hosts events. This one was not spectacular, but it got us outside for an enjoyable evening.

Total spent on my birthday: $13.39 (plus gas)

--

I think I accomplished my goal, and I enjoyed doing it! If you are a fellow cheap-ster, please share free or low cost ways you celebrate below. If you are looking for more resources about birthday freebies, I suggest the website Hey, It's Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment