Saturday, January 6, 2024

What I Used/What I Used Up (Week 1)


I like meal planning. Really, I do! Sometimes it just gets tedious and annoying, though. So, in an attempt to bring back some joy, infuse a little fun, and maybe help a few others, I am starting a little blog series: What I Used/What I Used Up. My plan is to share what I used of my meal plan, and also what I used up in cooking it that week. My hope is to use up more of what I have in the freezer, fridge and pantry, (or at least cycle through the old stuff and decide what I really need to replace as I attempt to
simplify my life at little bit).

Last year, I drew meal prep inspiration from several great blog series, the
Food We Ate series from Imma Eat That, and the weekly dinner menus from This Week for Dinner. Though I never actually listened to the episodes, I also like the idea of the "Empties" from Didn't I Just Feed You. This is my attempt to follow in their footsteps.

What I Used--


Breakfasts:

Apple-quinoa parfait (
Rise and Run)

Gingerbread pumpkin muffins (Chicago Jogger) and scrambled eggs with kale (Simply Recipes

Super simple granola 

Fluffy pancakes (All Recipes)


Lunches:

Big-batch Instant Pot white beans (Epicurious)

Carrot and romaine salads with shredded chicken, salsa, and Basil Parmesan vinaigrette
(The Best 50 Salad Dressings)

Dinners:

Chicago deep-dish style veggie pizza (Good Housekeeping Family Italian Cookbook)

Veggie pizza (Good Housekeeping Family Italian Cookbook)

Torta Azteca (Mom's recipe)

Florentine frittata (Good Housekeeping Family Italian Cookbook) and sweet potato sage biscuits (Rise and Run)

Snacks:

Hot chocolate

Peanuts

Single serve baked oatmeal and oatmeal mug cakes

What I Used Up--

Freezer:

Peas (remainder of the bag)
Pumpkin oatmeal muffins (Used up the rest I froze)
Spinach (whole bag)
Torta Azteca (Leftovers I froze)

Fridge:

Applesauce (remainder of the jar)
Celery (remainder of the bag)
Green onions (remainder)
Onion (chopped and froze the remainder)
Mayonnaise (remainder of the jar)
Parmesan (remainder of the bag)
Whole carrots (remainder of the bag)
Chicken and kale soup (Good Housekeeping Family Italian Cookbook)

Lentil stew with butternut squash (Good Housekeeping Family Italian Cookbook)

Tuna-macaroni salad (Betty Crocker)


No comments:

Post a Comment