Sunday, March 10, 2024

Real Life Marriage: What Would Jesus Do? (The Marriage Edition)


What would Jesus do? It's a book (Sheldon, 2009). It became a movement (Johnson, 2019). It spawned the weaving on many, many bracelets. While the phrase has become a bit trite, its legacy and message live on. I think it applies to marriage, too.

I really want to meet my husband's needs. Really, I do. I see part of my role as a servant of my husband, or maybe, better said, as support staff. I want to support and equip him so that he can do the work God calls him to do. Sure, I am selfish and self-centered too much of the time. That is the sin still living in me.  The Spirit living in me wants to serve.

There comes the rub, though. My husband is not me, and too often, I serve him in ways that would meet my needs, but don't meet his. I have been trying to consider his needs more, but honestly, trying to analyze my husband is exhausting. And it makes me focused on him. When I focus on him, I try to do things my way, in my power, and that takes me right back to the problem of loving my husband wrong. What I need to do is to focus on God. I need to ask, What would Jesus do? How would Jesus have me love my husband? This brings in the Spirit's power. 

God knows the thoughts and needs of my husband. If I am following God, I can trust God to use me to meet the needs of my husband. And the needs that I cannot meet, I can trust God to meet, or God to provide others to meet. What would Jesus do? Great question! What did Jesus do? He relied on God's power. I need to do the same.

What would Jesus do? It really is a great question, for life as a believer, and for life as a wife. May God continue to turn my heart and mind towards him so that I can better act as Jesus did, both inside and outside of my marriage.

References:

Johnson, B. (2019, July 18). WWJD as a trend has disappeared, but the principle has not. The arc: Stories to inspire faith-filled living. https://www.tyndale.com/sites/readthearc/wwjd-as-a-trend-has-disappeared-but-the-principle-has-not/

Sheldon, C.M. (2009). In his steps: What would Jesus do? Wilder publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment