Thursday, July 26, 2018

Incomplete



If one more person tells me to get a boyfriend, I think I will scream. Since turning 30, I've gotten more comments and questions about why I don't have kids and why I don't have a husband than ever before. And those comments have come from everyone from a five year-old kid to the oldest coworker I have. People, these things aren't necessarily in my control!

It's been a hard season of life and I can't deny that there are times that it seems like having a house, a husband, and 2.5 kids might make things easier. They would at least make me a "typical American." But I know in my heart that a house, husband, and kids cannot and will not complete me. I am incomplete on my own, but I find completion in Christ, and in Him alone. It is He who has begun a good work in me and will carry it on to the finish line of my life (Phil 1:6). 

If one day God sees fit to bless me with a house and a home and family, great! Finding my completeness in the Lord will help me with those relationships. But if I remain as I am, single and even living in my parents' house, Christ is enough. I am complete because Christ indwells my heart through the Holy Spirit, and He is enough.

So if you're thinking of giving me (or any of my other single friends) advice about life, please consider ways to push me towards Jesus instead. Please don't comment on my relationship status, or where I live, or on what I don't have. I don't need reminders of what I'm not. What I need are reminders of my worth in Christ and the complete riches I have in Him. God is my beginning and my end, and my identity comes from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment