Monday, July 2, 2018

Embracing Fear

I have an issue with fear. And I've let it run my life for far too long. As a perfectionist, I've often missed opportunities because I was afraid to try something and fail. As a fearful person, I've made mountains out of molehill issues to the point that I've been paralyzed. And I've run away and hidden because I was afraid way more times than I want to count.

But God's Word says, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" (2 Tim 1:7 New Kings James Version). God has been impressing this idea on me through a variety of means. My best friends keep telling me to stop overthinking and just live. I hear songs like, "Fear, He Is a Liar" by Zach Williams or "All In" by Matthew West. The latter song says,



I don't know that I'm "all in," but I do know that God is teaching me to be less fearful. For me that looks like saying what I really think, rather than debating about whether or not to share. It means picking up the phone and making the call rather than putting it off. It means initiating a conversation rather than expecting the other person to do it. It means branching out and trying some new things. It means failing sometimes and being okay with it.

I suppose that I'll always struggle with fear, but as I face fear, it gains less power. As I embrace fear instead of running from it, I embrace God and His plans for my life. For it is God who says, "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isa 41:10, New International Version). With God at my side, I'm saying, "Fear won't win."

No comments:

Post a Comment