Sunday, April 4, 2021

Remembering My Nana


(My nana at age 29, on her wedding day)

My nana would have been 94 today. She has been gone just about six years now. I still miss her, though the ache has grown less with time. So today, on her birthday, I remember her not with grief, but with joy and gratitude for the wonderful woman that she was:

An extremely educated woman who chose to serve (two degrees plus additional training, but she followed the call to be first a Bible translator, and then a wife, a mom, and sometimes, a teacher)

A silly woman who was serious about her prayers (She was known to be quite a prankster, but when she prayed, she prayed. My mom prayed, too, but I think it was in part my nana's prayers that got me to marriage.)

A woman who loved and appreciated pretty things, but was also unassuming (I inherited her china and marvel at its beauty, but never saw her flaunt it while she was alive.)

A kind woman, even to the end (Nana suffered from dementia, but never got angry that I saw. She just got anxious when she missed her loved ones, especially her dear husband, my granddad, who spent over 50 years of life with her.)

A diligent and devoted wife. (She literally went with my granddad all over the world, and did it joyfully.)

A doting mother and grandmother (She raised two very smart kids, my mom and my uncle, and hosted us kids for many fun activities when we lived near her.)

A doubter, but a believer (Nana shared with me her failings and doubts, but also head steadfastly to her faith in Jesus as Savior despite them.)

An example and a legacy (My dad said he knew he wanted to marry my mom when he met my nana, not because he didn't love my mom, but because he saw what Mom could be like down the road.)

I got to spend 27 years getting to know my Nana. I am not sure I will ever attain to her greatness or godliness, but I hope to at least follow in her footsteps towards those ends.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this tribute, Sarah. I can’t wait to meet her one day.

    ReplyDelete