Wednesday, April 14, 2021

When Tragedy Strikes


Members of our extended family suffered a tragedy, a terrible tragedy, a little over a month ago. The details are not mine to share, but the effects on my husband and I are. I have said that life is hard. Well this was a whole new level of hard, but one that provided perspective nonetheless. Though I would never, ever wish this tragedy on anyone, I am grateful for the things it revealed to us.

Tragedy revealed our priorities. My husband had to make some hard decisions in the matter at hand. I had to make decisions about whether or not I would support him, or whether I would go my own way. I was stressed. I was scared. I wanted to run and hide. I wanted to go seek support for myself. But when seeking that support meant choosing between my husband and my own wants and desires, by God's grace, I was able to choose my husband. He also chose me. Praise the Lord!

Tragedy reminded me of the need for grace. I am not a very patient person. I want what I want when I want it. I have some understanding, but I fail to give grace with it, especially to my husband. This tragedy softened my heart. Praise God, it made me want to have more grace, show more grace. I pray it will continue.

Tragedy gave me new eyes. I looked at material things differently. I pondered what really matters. I considered what would happen if I lost "everything," and what it would take to rebuild. I considered the greatness of God as refuge. 

Tragedy made me more grateful. I was able to see more as a gift, even as I realized that all is a gift. I entered this world with nothing and will leave this world with nothing except my soul. I could due to have this perspective more often.

Tragedy brought about good. As I wrote initially, I would never, ever wish tragedy on anyone, but we saw, in very tangible and powerful ways, God bring about good through ours. We saw redemption and restoration. We clearly saw God's provision. Grieving brought to our marriage new levels of intimacy and oneness. We longed and prayed more deeply for the salvation of those we love. Against the darkest of backgrounds, the joys of life, and life eternal gleamed brighter. We looked forward with more eagerness to the day of Christ's return, when all things would be made new, when there will be no more mourning or crying (Rev 21:4-5).

--

When tragedy strikes, we have choices. Will we let it teach us? Or will will wallow in our sorrow? Will we look for joy, or will we nurse our pain? Will we reach out or reach in? Will we seek God or curse Him? Will we rejoice in life forevermore or more fully pursue a hedonistic enjoyment of the things we have? Choices. Tragedy seems to take them from us, but in reality, it sets more clearly the choices of life before us. What will we choose? 

No comments:

Post a Comment