Thursday, November 10, 2022

Real Life Marriage: "The One"

A lot of people talk about knowing a person to be "the one" before they even started dating. I don't know about that. I definitely didn't know my husband was "the one" when we started dating four years ago this day. I just knew that he was a person I liked, felt attracted to, and valued, and for me, the relationship had to become something, or I had to move away. I was getting too attached.

When we got married, though, I committed to my husband being the one. In my vows, I told him that I chose him, and would always choose him. Between that and a covenant marriage, I gave myself no outs.

Attachment does change. I am sure there are quite a few people out there who said someone was "the one," and then it fell through. Those aren't the people talking, though. The people talking are the ones who are still twitter-pated over their love, in love with love, and in love with their lovers. Their sweet stories are the ones people want to hear.

Marriage is an opportunity to write a sweet story, though. Marriage is an opportunity to choose, to love well, to forsake all others, to be ONE. Marriage is an opportunity to glorify God, the One who made men and women and made marriage. Marriage is a high calling, a holy calling. Ideally, I only get one shot at it. I pray I do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment