Friday, June 12, 2020

Marriage, Year One: Highlights

My post about our first year of marriage may have seemed like a downer. It wasn't meant to be, but I felt it necessary to post real life marriage before the highlights reel. I want to be  honest and truthful when I talk about marriage. It's not easy, at least ours isn't.  Marriage is a good gift from God, and also an incredibly refining experience. But without further adieu, on to the good stuff of the past year. I can't possibly compile all the highlights, but here are a few:


1. Wedding

That's what started this gig, so enough said! But seriously, it was a very special day, and we thank all of our family and friends who attended, as well as our pastor. Our ceremony was just about perfect.


2. Honeymoon trip

To anyone not yet married, don't let anyone convince you not to take a honeymoon. Those few days of bliss before we came back to real life and responsibilities were amazing. Turn off your phones. Enjoy getting to know each other. Make some memories. It's worth it!


3. College Homecoming
Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Chris willingly traveled on his birthday to go with me to my ten year reunion. We stayed with friends and I took him to lots of my old haunts and introduced him to even more people. He took it like a champ, and it was special to do this together.



Buying a house was on my list of things that we should not do our first year of marriage. I wanted to settle and work on our marriage before jumping into major life decisions. Well, God had other plans and rapidly moved up our time frames. Here we are, having owned a condo for almost half the length of our marriage



5. Grand Canyon Trek


This was my husband's idea first, and quite frankly, very poorly timed with our other major life events. Hiking the Grand Canyon was on my bucket list for years, however, and I am so glad we crossed it off, together, and before COVID hit.


6.Visiting Washington

We planned this trip right after we got married. Then it fell right after we moved. Getting away and getting to see Chris' family and Seattle were a blessing, though. I'll totally go again.


7. A Mountain

This was our first official Phoenix hike, but also a hike off my bucket list. It felt fitting to welcome ourselves to the community this way. And yes, we are A versus U of A fans....


8. Camelback mountain

Another one off the bucket list, and not easy. Both Chris and I said we wouldn't have finished had not the other one been there. The sunrise and views were incredible! I'm glad we went when we did, as this is a crowded trail and I'm not sure I would go right now with the pandemic. 


9. Home Improvements

Buy a house, find a lot to do. We bought our house "move-in" ready, but it still needs some work. First, our water heater went out. We decided to buy a couch while we had the truck for that project. Chris put up lots of our pictures. He put up shelves and fixed a toilet. We ordered art from our Grand Canyon trip. I guess I should say I've been the recipient of home improvements because Chris made most of them. Still, it's been nice to make this our home together.


10. COVID dates

School and the pandemic have made getting out more costly in terms of time. I got the idea to have an indoor picnic when we got takeout, and then another night, we had a dine-in candlelight dinner. Chris made special breakfasts for us several mornings, and we've been trying to otherwise prioritize some "us" time. It's been a good respite from the monotony.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet idea! My husband and I recently celebrated our 1-year anniversary too, and it's so fun to look back on all our adventures. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete