Monday, March 15, 2021

The COVID-19 Vaccine: Three Ethical Issues to Consider


Since I already wrote about getting dose one of the COVID vaccine, I figured I might as well share about dose two, or at least about some factors my husband and I considered before I entered into the vaccination process. My hope is that my post might promote critical thought by those who have not yet gotten the vaccine and are considering doing so.

*Please note that I am by no means an epidemiologist. I am certainly not the CDC and can give no medical advice. I am just sharing my experience and thought processes in this post.

1) Vaccine sourcing: This was my first concern when I found out that I was eligible to get the vaccine. I wanted to know what I was putting into my body. "Do no harm" is a common mantra in the medical field, and I did not want to violate it, even in getting a vaccine, a form of medicine. I found resources like The Charlotte Lozier Institute helpful in understanding where the vaccines came from and how they were developed.

2) Marital unity: My marriage is very important to me, and I wanted my husband to be on board with whatever decision I made about vaccination. Ultimately, based on my health, my job, and several other factors, we decided for me to try to get the vaccine. I needed my husband's support, because pro or con, he would experience the side effects of it, politically, publicly, socially, and relationally.

3) How getting the vaccine may effect others: We had much to consider in terms of how my vaccination would effect others. We understand that some are opposed to the vaccine, and we do not feel that it is our job to convince them to change their minds. We wanted to respect their position even as we asked them to respect ours. We sought advice from medically informed members of our family, but did not openly discuss our decision with others, at least until after I got vaccinated. We did not want to create stumbling blocks or rifts in our relationships.

In regards to vaccination, our primary concern was for my work and how my illness might affect the many families whom I serve. We felt that a vaccination that might protect me would enable me to keep serving, and therefore hopefully support society as a whole. This was a pro.

We also considered that I might get sick from the vaccine itself. That illness might be short term or long term, and it could certainly require my husband to take on extra responsibilities. This was a con. I could also have serious side effects, up to death, less likely, but still worth considering. When all was said and done, I did have a day of illness after dose two, minor in the grand scheme of things, but still something worth considering as it did require extra care and heavier duties for my husband.

--

In the end, am I glad I got vaccinated? Yes. I am. It was the right decision for us. Is it the right decision for you? I don't know, but I urge you to consider the ethical issues and weigh your options. It is easy to make a snap decision based on a few factors, or on the opinions of others.. It is harder to weight all the possibilities and make an informed decision. Informed decisions matter, though, and since there are consequences for decisions, it is important to know that you made the right one for you, your friends, your family, and your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment