Mel Robbin's "Let Them" theory was really big for a while. She even wrote a 2024 book about it. I have a different take on the idea.
"Let them" for Mel Robbins is mostly about releasing control. Let other people have their opinions. Let them do things their own way. Stop trying to manage them and what they think of you (Robbins, 2023). Stay in your own lane. Do your own thing. This is probably a gross oversimplification, but having not read the book, this is my understanding of the theory.
So what is my take on the theory? I apply it to expectations and FOMO (fear of missing out). "Let them" do all the things. I release the expectation that I can, should, or have to do all the things. I personality don't even want to do all the things!
So "let them" go on that trip, spend all their money, work extra hours at the office, stay out late at night. I am not missing out. I am living within my values. (And maybe they are too, but that doesn't mean I need to compare myself to them.) I don't need to catch up or keep up. Rather, I want to live within my limits and be faithful in the small things (Comer, 2019). Maybe this area of personal responsibility is where I actually agree with Robbins. Let me do me and whatever God is calling me to do. For me, that is what counts, and for me, what counts is all that matters.
References:
Comer, J.M. (2019). The ruthless elimination of hurry: How to stay emotionally healthy and spiritually alive in the chaos of the modern world. WaterBrook.
Robbins, M. (Host). (2023, May 28). The “Let them theory”: A life changing mindset hack that 15 million people can’t stop talking about. (no. 70) [Audio podcast episode]. In The Mel Robbins show. https://www.melrobbins.com/episode/episode-70/
Robbins, M. (2024). The let them theory: A life-changing tool that millions of people can't stop talking about. Hay House.

No comments:
Post a Comment