Friday, September 4, 2026

Pressing Reset

I am a pretty emotional person, and as such, I get bent out of shape easily. I would like to say I bend, but don't break, but that is not really true either. I bend, and I break...down. I am learning to accept this about myself, even if I don't like it, because try as I might, it just always seems to happen. What I can control (as my husband always reminds me) is what I do with my emotions. Thankfully, with the Lord's help (and a lot of therapy and a lot of support from others), I am learning what it looks like to reset.

1. I cry. Crying releases some chemicals from the body, which might help re-regulate afterward (Murube, 2009). Sometimes I just need to let things out. 

2. I release my emotions through some kind of physical movement. Most often, this looks like a walk, but sometimes it is push-ups or stair climbing. This releases stress and increases endorphins (Hanley-Defoe, 2025). Moving my body outside has the benefit of resetting my setting, which can also help my brain.

3. I read my Bible or a devotional. Sometimes I just need a shift in perspective (Shannon, n.d.). I need to reset in the Word.

4. I pray. Sometimes I can do this, and sometimes I can't. Sometimes, it looks like a breath prayer, or as in one recent instance, saying "Lord, I'm so angry" over and over again (Tucker, 2025). The Lord knows. The Lord hears.

5. I actually reset and tell myself to restart the day (even late in the day). Self-talk does have an effect (Goldsmith, 2022). I try to redeem the time I have left. 

I am far from perfect. I still need a lot of work, but thankfully with the Lord's help, I am learning. Pressing reset works a little better, a little more often, and a little faster.

References:

Goldsmith, B. (2022). The benefits of positive self-talk. Psychology today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/emotional-fitness/202205/the-benefits-of-positive-self-talk

Hanley-Defoe. (2025, March 26). 7 small ways to regulate and reset your nervous system. Psychology today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/everyday-resilience/202503/7-small-ways-to-reset-and-regulate-your-nervous-system

Murube, J. (2009). Hypotheses on the development of psychoemotional tearing. The ocular surface 7(4), 171-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1542-0124(12)70184-2.

Shannon, S. A. (n.d.). What does a reset in the Bible look like? Families with grace. https://familieswithgrace.com/what-does-a-reset-in-the-bible-look-like/.

Tucker, J. (2025, August 21). Breath prayer: An ancient practice to calm anxiety and strengthen your faith. Best self media holistic health & conscious living. https://bestselfmedia.com/breath-prayer/

No comments:

Post a Comment