I have been on the hunt for purposeful work ever since college. I found purpose and mission in my undergraduate and graduate degrees, but in between, I had a job that was good, but a job that I wasn't invested in long-term. Then I had a job that was good, but didn't feel right. Then I had a job that was "too much," with 24 hour on-call and regularly required overtime. And now I have this job, the longest job I have had since graduate school.
I don't know what I want to do. I don't want to not work. I don't want to leave my job. I think I just need to learn that work is not my be-all end-all. I am complete in Christ, and in Him alone. I can be content with, and grateful for my work, because really, it shouldn't complete me. So I guess in that way, work discontent is good. It points me to the Savior. It points me to my need. It reminds me that my home is in heaven, and I "eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ" (New International Version, 2011, Phil. 3:20). Amen to that!
Reference:
New
International Version. (2011). BibleGateway.com. http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-International-Version-NIV-Bible/#booklist

No comments:
Post a Comment