I hope I never, ever get a stress fracture again! I have been trying to document this journey, however, so I made a list of things I did/have been/am doing in my healing process. I am not a doctor, nutritionist, or physical therapist. This is just my protocol based on my own research, as well as the recommendations of the experts I saw:
1. I drank coffee with RNWY collagen in every day for a least a month. I started this because I thought I had a tendon injury, but when I found out it was a stress fracture, I continued, as there is some limited evidence that collagen might help with bone healing (Karaytug, 2021; Sun et al., 2025). It might also help with bone density, something I want to build in order to avoid future such injuries (Ask the Doctors, 2025; Konig et al, 2018). While I knew that rest might help my healing most, I also wanted to help my body along where I could. As an ongoing practice, I still drink coffee with collagen two to three times a week.
2. I stopped running. Yes, I probably should have done this first, and yes, I ran on my stress fracture. (I don't recommend this.) At first, I ran ignorantly, but after diagnosis, yes, I ran five more days (a mile a day). I didn't want to abandon my run streak. I was taking the orthopedic PA's advice to "do what pain allowed" and using it to my advantage. I wanted to convince myself that I could run through healing. I was in denial. But then I talked to my nurse mom, who advised doing no impact activities only. The next morning, the pastor preached about selfishness at church, and I realized it was time. I was still hurting. To submit to God and my husband, I needed to stop running. No other gods before God. No purposeful selfish decisions that would harm others. (I also knew I would not be running that weekend when we went to California for my brother's wedding, unless I tried to sneak around under the cover of darkness, and that was not my plan.)
3. I ate, a lot, especially sugar and simple carbs. After the finding out about my injury, I was very hungry. (I was just coming off a half-marathon, and I think the initial pain probably blunted my appetite.) I also felt very stressed, so my cortisol may have been triggering stress eating. Increased sweets cravings, especially for chocolate, was documented in at least once research study of individuals with fractures (Nicoll, 2019). Since I heard that bone healing is energy expensive, I indulged myself (Brown, 2019). This did lead to weight gain, but I figured I could either be mad that I could not run because I slowed my healing by restricting calories, or feel different in my body and hopefully run again. I chose the latter.
4. I reduced my salt intake, and I stopped putting salt in my hot chocolate. With exercising so much less, I didn't need quite as much sodium. I also heard that salt might leech calcium out of the body (Tiyasatkulkovit, 2021). I wanted to keep as much calcium as possible around in order to rebuild my bone!
5. I started taking calcium chews, and then added a vitamin D supplement. Was I low in either nutrient? Not technically, but I don't eat a lot of dairy, and my vitamin D was below the 40 plus recommended for runners (Momaya, 2025). My dietitian said one 1,000 mcg supplement could not hurt me, so I took it (and I am still taking it).
6. I ate a bowl of fortified cereal with whole milk almost every night for the first twelve weeks of my recovery. And on that note, I switched most of my dairy products from low fat to skim, as fat boosts vitamin D absorption (Dawson-Hughes, 2015). Extra fat could also contribute to the energy surplus my dietitian recommend. While I am not eating cereal every night anymore, I am still trying to eat lots of dairy, as much as possible of the full-fat variety.
7. I started seeing a dietitian to help evaluate me for any nutrient gaps. Yes, I like to research, but she has a degree in this stuff. It is good to consult experts.
8. I hired a physical therapist (PT) with a speciality in bone health in runners, specifically stress fractures. There are actually two PTs in my area with this expertise, but I went with the one I could afford, and that was closer to me. She did not take insurance, so this is expensive, but is by far the most worthwhile resource on this list!
9. I waited to run. I about broke (down) several times, but I figured if I had hired experts to help me, I needed to stick with the plan. This was really difficult, especially when I felt really terrible in my body. With a lot of support from my husband and the Lord's strength, however, I made it. Now, I am trying to hold myself back and only run what the PT prescribes, so as to keep my stress fracture healed and not break anything else.
10. I started lifting heavier than ever. My PT suggested this to help build my bone density. I even started using barbells. Apparently this is good for my longterm health and longevity, so it is something I plan to continue doing.
--
There are probably some other things I could add to this list, but these are the main ones. Which contributed most to my healing? I don't know. Probably all of it. If I could make one recommendation, however, it would be to train smart and fix nutrient gaps before a stress fracture results. That is a whole lot better than needing advice about how to heal a broken bone!
References:
Ask the Doctors. (2025, July 30). Study indicates collagen peptides can increase bone density.
UCLA health. https://www.uclahealth.org/news/article/study-indicates-collagen-peptides-can-increase-bone-density
Brown, S. E. (2019, December 9). How to speed fracture healing. Better bones. https://betterbones.com/fractures-and-healing/speed-up-fracture-healing/
Dawson-Hughes, B., Harris, S. S., Lichtenstein, A. H., Dolnikowski, G., Palermo, N. J., & Rasmussen, H. (2015). Dietary fat increases vitamin D-3 absorption. Journal of the academy of nutrition and dietetics, 115(2), 225–230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2014.09.014
Karaytug, K., Arzu, U., Ergin, O. N., Bilgili, F., Unverengil, G., Bayram, S., & Sen, C. (2021). Effects of Collagen- and Arginine-Fortified Osteokine Supplementation on Fracture Healing. Cureus, 13(10), e19072. https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.19072
König, D., Oesser, S., Scharla, S., Zdzieblik, D., & Gollhofer, A. (2018). Specific Collagen Peptides Improve Bone Mineral Density and Bone Markers in Postmenopausal Women-A Randomized Controlled Study. Nutrients, 10(1), 97. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10010097
König, D., Oesser, S., Scharla, S., Zdzieblik, D., & Gollhofer, A. (2018). Specific Collagen Peptides Improve Bone Mineral Density and Bone Markers in Postmenopausal Women-A Randomized Controlled Study. Nutrients, 10(1), 97. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10010097
Momaya, A. (2025, August 18). Should I take vitamin D as an athelete. Momaya sports medicine. https://www.momayamd.com/blog/should-i-take-vitamin-d-as-an-athlete/?bp=47902
Nicoll R. (2019). Sickness behavior may follow fracture as well as infection. Brain, behavior, & immunity - health, 1, 100002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbih.2019.100002
RNWY. (n.d.). RNWY foundation. https://rnwy.life/products/foundation?srsltid=AfmBOoqU6wWmXDD7Gyzy-F1kRCyx8OdoJoBe896SQxm77xyjbYPI6pKM
Sun, C., Yang, A., Teng, F., & Xia, Y. (2025). Efficacy of collagen peptide supplementation on bone and muscle health: a meta-analysis. Frontiers in nutrition, 12, 1646090. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2025.1646090
Sun, C., Yang, A., Teng, F., & Xia, Y. (2025). Efficacy of collagen peptide supplementation on bone and muscle health: a meta-analysis. Frontiers in nutrition, 12, 1646090. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2025.1646090
Tiyasatkulkovit, W., Aksornthong, S., Adulyaritthikul, P., Upanan, P., Wongdee, K., Aeimlapa, R., Teerapornpuntakit, J., Rojviriya, C., Panupinthu, N., & Charoenphandhu, N. (2021). Excessive salt consumption causes systemic calcium mishandling and worsens microarchitecture and strength of long bones in rats. Scientific reports, 11(1), 1850. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-81413-2

No comments:
Post a Comment