Friday, March 10, 2017

30 Days of Oatmeal: Balsamic Apple

Once again, I went with a simple oat base so that I could focus on my topping. Today's gem: chopped apples sautéed in balsamic vinegar and vanilla.



The balsamic vinegar (once cooked off), added a nice sweetness and tang to the apples. I think the vinegar smell permeated our house, though, because my dad asked, "What are you eating for snack?" The perils of recipe experimentation...


Ingredients:


For the stewed apples:
1 small apple (I used gala), diced
2 T balsamic vinegar


For the oats:
1/2 c quick cooking oats
1 c water
1 t vanilla

Directions:


1. Combine the  chopped apple, balsamic vinegar, and vanilla in a small sauce pan. Cook until liquid reduces to a thick syrup and apples are tender.
2. In a separate pan, combine water and oats and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
3. When oats reach the desired consistency, add the vanilla and stir to combine.
5. Transfer oatmeal to a bowl and top the sautéed apples.


No comments:

Post a Comment