Tuesday, March 21, 2017

30 Days of Oatmeal: Thai Apple Oats


Those who know me well know I love Thai food, especially Thai noodles. The savory, spicy, sweet sauce made from rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, and a few other ingredients is one of my favorites. Drawing on the Thai condiments in my cupboard, I developed this recipe.


Warm apples sautéed in sesame oil, chopped peanuts, and if you're brave, a little rice vinegar in the oat base. Are you ready?


Ingredients:


1/2 t sesame oil
1 apple, chopped (I used gala)
1/2 c quick cooking oatmeal
1 c water
1/2 t cinnamon
1 T rice vinegar
1/2 c unroasted peanuts, chopped
Sea salt for topping


Directions:


1. In a small saucepan, warm the sesame oil. Add the apples and sauté over medium heat until slightly brown.
2. In another pan, combine the oatmeal and water and bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat to low and simmer until oats reach desired consistency.
4. Stir cinnamon and rice vinegar into oats and transfer to a bowl.
5. Top oats with a scant layer of sea salt, the chopped peanuts, and the sautéed apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment