Friday, March 31, 2017

Reflections on 30 Days of Oatmeal

First of all, I have a confession. I didn't eat oatmeal every day for 30 days. I ate oatmeal almost twice a day from 1/31/17 to 2/16/17 to prepare for this blog series. With that being said, here are some reflections on the challenge:

1) It's hard to come up with new recipes! No wonder The Oatmeal Artist only posts once or twice a week. I have to admit that some of the recipes posted weren't my favorite, but that's okay. At the end of the day, "it's just food," not the be-all, end-all of life.

2) Blogging is work! I enjoy it, but every day is too much. Expect fewer posts in the future.


3) It is possible to get too much of a good thing. Some nights, I didn't want to eat oatmeal for a second time. Most nights I did, so as to finish creating 30 recipes, but some nights, I gave myself a break. It's good to learn to listen to one's body.


4) Rolled oats are good, but quick oats are convenient. I like the rich, chewy texture of rolled oats, but I often don't have the extra 5-10 minutes it takes to cook them. Enter quick oats, which I used for this entire challenge. They cook in as few as 5 minutes and still have the same excellent flavor and nutrition as rolled oats. If my choice is no oatmeal or quick oats, I'll choose quick.


5) Adding extra water makes extra creamy oats. I read this tip on someone's Instagram post (I've forgotten whose!) and it's great. After the oats thicken, I add 1/4 to 1/2 c more water and simmer a little longer and it makes extra voluminous and yummy oats. Try it!

6) Tried but true recipes are where it's at. I was so happy to sit down to a plain bowl of chocolate oats after I finished this challenge. I liked experimenting, but it got tiring after awhile. "
Everyone should have a house meal" and this is my house breakfast: 1/2 c quick oats, 1 c water, 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 t cinnamon, and 1 T dark cocoa powder.




For those of you who followed along with this challenge, which recipes did you try?

Which were your favorite?

Let me know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment