Sunday, June 16, 2024

The Year God Gave Back


This time last year, we almost lost my dad. He had serious surgery, so extreme it required machines to hold onto his life while the doctors did their work. Dad came through surgery, but then had some serious complications. It was frightening. It was scary. We prayed like crazy. We begged friends and family to pray. We fought. He fought. For a time, it felt like the dad I knew was gone. I grieved. We grieved. But somehow, by God's grace, after quite a long time, and with a lot of medical intervention, we started to get back to doing our "normal" things as a family:

We visited overnight.



Dad came to cheer on my races.


We celebrated holidays.


We ate meals together.


Dad sent his funny (as well as inspiring) texts.


To misquote the old "Big Yellow Taxi" (1970) song, "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone," and man, after almost losing my dad, this year has been so meaningful! My dad is a big-hearted, kind caring, hardworking, protective, supportive, encouraging guy, and having not only this year with him, but this year with the dad I know and love has been such a blessing. Thank you, Lord, for this gift! Thank you for my dad!

--

I love you, Dad.

Happy Father's Day!

Reference:

Mitchell, J. (1970). Big yellow taxi. [Song]. Siquomb Publishing Corp.

No comments:

Post a Comment